I was chatting to some friends over the weekend and we got to talking about baking and cookies (how very domestic of us). It got me thinking about the fact that I’ve never had great success in the cookie making department to date.
So, I felt it was time to get back in the ring. This time I gave a ‘vegan’ recipe a go, and wow – they were good! So quick and easy to make, and absolutely delicious. I am not ashamed to say I ate at least 6 of them in 24 hours!!
I cheated a little as I added an egg but if you are 100% vegan you can add the flax seed mix instead.
What to expect: Chewy and delicious – hint of coconut thanks to the oil but it’s not over powering.
Makes: 10 – 12 cookies
½ Cup coconut oil (Solid)
1 Cup Light brown sugar
2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
¼ Cup Coconut milk
1 egg (Or use flax seed mix to make vegan; 2 Tbsp Flax seed with 5 Tbsp water mixed and left to sit for 10 minutes before use)
2 ¼ Cups Plain flour
1 Tsp Baking soda
½ Tsp Salt
Chocolate chips to taste (50G – 100G)
- Pop all the wet ingredients into food processor and mix until smooth – takes about 2 minutes
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl
- Pour wet mix on top and stir together. It takes a few minutes as it is a very thick mix
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Take icecreem scoop size ammount and roll into ball using clean hands
- Place on baking tray leaving about 2 inches of space around each to expand (these do not melt into a big mess like some cookie dough mix so fear not!)
- Bake at 190 degrees celsius for 15 minutes, or until golden brown
Tip: The coconut oil is your replacement for butter or margarine, so it should be roughly the same consistency, not like a liquid oil.
Tip: You can use a spatula to press the cookies flat as soon as they come out of the oven if you want. Makes the chewier, so leave untouched if you prefer crumbly cookies.
Anything I would change next time: I definitely want to try these with the flax mix instead of the egg next time. Also, I might try a soya butter instead of the coconut oil too to see if there is much difference to the taste.
My recipe inspo, I didn’t stick to this exactly, but it was the bones of my recipe: https://bakerbynature.com/the-most-wonderful-vegan-chocolate-chip-cookies-ever/