These little treats are definitely my favourite dessert of the month. If you are allergic to dairy (or are vegan) then cheese cake is just a no-no – I have lost track of how many weddings I have been to where everyone is tucking into a slice of Baileys cheesecake after dinner and myself and my bowl of melon have sat there steeped in envy. Well no more I tell you!
What to expect: They are coconutty and sweet, and the texture of the ‘cheese’ is amazing with the nutty base.
Makes: 6 muffin case size cakes
1 cup raw cashews (soaked for 3 hours)
1/2 cup frozen strawberry slices
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 cup pecan nuts
6 medjool dates
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 Tsp sea salt
- Soak cashew nuts for 3 hours in bowl of water at room temperature.
- Drain cashews and add all filling ingredients to mixer (food processor) – blitz for about 5 minutes, stopping every 30-60 seconds to scrape the mix from the side to ensure it is all mixing. Set aside.
- Soak dates for 10 minutes in warm water
- Drain dates (remove seeds if they have them), add all base ingredients to mixer. Blitz for about 1 minute. Just not so long that it turns to paste.
- Scoop the base mix into muffin cases and press down to flat.
- Scoop filling on top and smooth out. It feels like a moose so take your time with this or it could go everywhere.
- To finish it off you can blitz a few frozen strawberries and spread on top, but that’s optional. A half a strawberry on top is just as nice.
- Place in Freezer for 90 minutes.
Tip: These do keep in the fridge afterwards, they just go a bit softer.
Tip: Lidl and Dealz are always my first stop for ingredients, trust me – you will save a fortune! Eg. 200g Pecan Nuts Lidl = €3.29 Vs Tesco – €4.50, it all adds up when you have a long shopping list for something new.
Anything I would change next time: I would love to try these with a traditional cheesecake base, digestive biscuits with butter (dairy free), just for the fun.
Origional recipe credit to: http://www.foodnetwork.ca/valentines-day/blog/irresistible-vegan-strawberry-cheesecake-bites/33882/